Friday, October 1, 2010

thank God for life's detours

I have been to Mossa, Italy. (So has Moses! -- thanks Megan Kania!)
Although I don't look very happy in this picture and I think Moses is hiding his face because he's embarrassed for me. I took the wrong train. And just so you know Mossa, Italy is really in the middle of nowhere. 


Mossa is a little town almost to Gorizia, Italy. I was really trying to get to Casarsa and as you can tell I took the train in the opposite direction. Tuesday I was going to visit Saints Bible Institute, a school where Americans can do study abroad. I am checking out the option of being an RA there. It's super cute and I eventually got there -- on Wednesday.

Tuesday I woke up early and walked to the train station. I ordered my ticket and looked at the screens for "partenza" (departure) times. There was a train that left at 7.46am. 

Tuesday turned into a day where I needed to be shown a little grace. I need grace every day, but I needed a little extra on Tuesday, especially from Irene who picked me up.

I had the chance to see where Irene goes to school since we were so close to it and she had to check to make sure when her last exam was scheduled. Although it wasn't what I had planned, it was a good day.

We had breakfast: una brioche (a croissant) and cioccolata calda (hot chocolate) for me, (caffè) coffee for Irene...

On the way home I was happy to see the familiar: La Sedia Grande (the Big Chair) which I saw last time I was here... 



I'm learning to thank God for life's interruptions, which is funny because I told my friend Jeni who will soon be going to Thailand to be thankful for those interruptions. Better said than done. But I'm learning.... and eating my own words of advice.

Learning to be: humble.

2 comments:

  1. I love the "big chair"...reminds me f the "big tire" I pass every time I go back to my hometown. you have such a healthy perspective and patient willing heart...i love your thoughts about interruptions (i needed that attitude last week when i spent a 40 minute detour backtracking to find berlyn's lost and beloved kitty that she dropped somewhere while we were out and about.)

    also know, that those interruptions are sometimes God's way of protecting us from the unknown...just as being stopped at every red light while in a hurry and running late can feel annoying and NOT part of our daily plan, it could also be God's way of protecting us from things we don't see (like the accident that occurred moments before we arrived after being held up at that very same red light). He always knows best. He always gives us exactly what we need and never gives us what we don't! So, count those interruptions as moments in life God intended to work in or through us, or as moments that His love, grace, and providence has protected us.

    Stay encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they make their hot chocolate with milk and dark chocolate? That is how we drank it in France and oh my word it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete