Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gracenomics book review





I just finished reading Philip Yancey’s What’s so Amazing about Grace? It seems fitting that I would continue my reading on the topic. So when I found out that I had the chance to read and review Mike Foster’s Gracenomics, I was all in!


While I've never met Mike Foster, I can tell by his writing that he is a genuine guy. He’s not afraid to tell us his likes, dislikes, and the fact that he’s not a perfect person. It is refreshing to hear a Christian leader acknowledging the fact that the world is messy. To me, Mike sounds a lot like Jesus. He is hanging out with broken people and writing their story for others to know that there is hope for them, too! 

I grew up in church but never really understood grace. At 25, I feel like I am just beginning to skim the surface of what GRACE is. It is refreshing and not at all like the judgmental close-mindedness I have been used to seeing in the Church. I am sure more people would be willing to become Christ-followers if they knew the message of GRACE.

The book is divided into three sections: GRACE for you, GRACE for others, and GRACE at the workplace. My favorite part of the book was on pages 60-62 under the heading "Invisible Pricetags". I say it was my favorite, but more accurately it was the most convicting. "The worst part is, it’s not just strangers that we assault with our pricing guns. Often it’s the people we love the most that we treat most harshly" (61). 

I recently had a conversation with a friend who grew up with me. We talked about the fact that the Church is so good at acting like everyone is always happy and that life is always good. Gracenomics posed a question we both were asking that night: What if, as leaders, we spoke openly about struggle, failure and the honesty of our checkered pasts (96)?


I am a person in need of GRACE. So are you. This book was a great reminder that there is "a second chance life waiting for you" (25).

This book needed to be written. This message needs to be heard by the world and WE are the ones who are challenged to live it out. The question to ask yourself is WILL YOU?

Go get this book. NOW. You'll be glad you did.

Here's how to get the book: 



2 comments:

  1. i have a kindle...you have me intrigued! love the analogy of an "invisible pricetag"...kinda cringed at reading that because I know I have and am at fault and feel that twinge of conviction within me as well. thanks for the recommendation jenni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review...I'm sure we'll be getting it soon. I so resonate with you about getting real with ourselves and with each other. Indeed, the world is messy, our hearts are complicated, and so often we fail - our God, ourselves, each other. But Jesus...But grace. And yeah...the invisible pricetag - I have found myself at times so very guilty. Oh that we would see with eyes eternal. I guess this highlights the huge importance of living in close community with one another - daily practicing confession, repentance, grace, and admonishment.

    ReplyDelete