Tuesday, October 19, 2010

FOREIGNER

Yesterday was a fantastic Monday.
I got my kindle, kindle cover, and extra battery! 
I got real mail from my good friend Wally! :) 

I mailed two letters (sorry it's taken so long... I still haven't bought any postcards, so yeah....)

I keep thinking that people know my travel plans until they ask me what they are. 
My mouth and my brain don't communicate sometimes...

Rome Oct 29-31
Sicily Oct 31-Nov 5
Verona Nov 5-?? 

I'm WAY excited to be traveling Italy and see some of the country I've never seen before. It will be an adventure for sure as I will be traveling alone and have to rely on my handy dandy Italian-English dictionary and my mad Italian language skills (ok, I don't really know much Italian, but I'm learning!).

In answer to the often heard question, how are you doing: 
I have had a few breakdowns in feelings of loneliness here. It's not easy being in a new place, not knowing the language and trying to find your way around... 

Being a "straniero" (foreigner) here reminds me of seeing the Hispanic people at Walmart in line with WIC cards. I was patient with them in trying to explain that certain items were not covered by WIC. I liked being in the fast lanes when the Hispanic men were buying boots and clothes or when the tall guy from El Rodeo (best Mexican in BH!) came in my lane. I tried remembering some of my Spanish from high school while they counted out the money in Spanish. 

Anyway, just a reminder to all you Americans: Please be patient with the foreigners living in your land. It's not easy and they are stepping out in faith that they can make it there. 

PS -- in looking for a cool picture to put here, I found this.


Might be one of the best concerts ever... and I WILL see Styx in concert someday!


No comments:

Post a Comment