Monday, October 4, 2010

Ideal Cafe

On Thursday I spent the day with Lucy's sister Anna and her husband Joe. It was very fun to hang out with them -- it reminded me of a day with Lucy. We started off at the Ideal Cafe, a place Anna goes to every day. I almost felt like I was walking into Central Perk. haha... We went to the grocery store -- always an adventure with Italians who walk slowly through the store... which gave me enough time to look words up in the dictionary! We also went to a mall. It was cute. Their grocery stores are attached to their malls, which makes sense to me. While the parents are grocery shopping, the teens can be at the mall.

Here's a sample of the foods I ate on Thursday:




I started off my day with a bianca cioccolata calda (white hot chocolate). It was more like a pudding substance... still good. :)
Obviously you see I had McDonald's... It was HUGE! It was called the Big Tasty...
I had Nutella gelato. So good! YUM YUM!

Then there were the new experiences: fichi d'india (prickly pears) and Chino.
The prickly pears tasted like watermelon to me and had TONS of seeds. It was more like chewing enough so you could swallow the seeds... I'm not really a fan of them, but at least I tried it.
I was told that Chino was like Coke. Nothing could ever be as good as Coke... But I guess I would compare Chino to Ale8. It's more bitter than Coke. But it's not horrible. I would not choose it over Coke.


4 comments:

  1. i'm loving reading about your adventures. Thanks for bringing Italy to us...every little detail is fascinating to me! Keep on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying Ale8 is bitter because that is a flat out lie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah -- nope. Just the fact that it's regional (I'm not sure if Chino is in all of Italy?)... but it seems like Chino and Ale8 are acquired tastes. Honestly it's been so long since I've had an Ale8, I'm not sure I remember what it tastes like anymore. :/ We should fix that soon... Maybe I'll make it to one of the DL meetings and there will be some Ale8? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe they don't have coke?!? Sooooo proud of you for trying all these new things. And how awesome to sample all of these new treats - I LOVE to try new things - so I'm loving experiencing them through you.

    ReplyDelete