Monday, November 8, 2010

Small Steps

Ok, I know that people are expecting huge updates now, but I'm still processing.

Here's a small segment from a friend's email updates, as I relate a lot to his feelings of being overseas.

There's frustration involved in embarking on a new journey in life. That's what I've been thinking about lately.... I've never done anything quite like what I'm doing right now. I'm saying goodbye to American culture and diving headfirst into a new one. I'm forsaking my native language and becoming a wholehearted student.... I'm giving up my preferences, comforts, and even my strengths, so that I can build new ones. And I'm sure you know that trading in your preferences is by definition unpleasant. Creating a new comfort zone is inherently uncomfortable. And building new strengths makes you feel weak for a while.

While many people think that missionaries are living the good life, getting paid to "vacation", I can beg to differ with you on that one. The people I visited this week were giving sacrificially of their time, talents, skills, finances, comforts... all to further the kingdom. Just something to think about for now...

2 comments:

  1. I love the way that your friend worded that. Oh, so true. Even moving to a new state...a new ministry, can feel that way. Out of your comfort zone, out of your familiar, away from your preferences.

    I'm so proud of you, JenniB!
    You process away, my dear. We will be hear, ready to read, when you figure out what God is saying to YOU in all of your journeys.
    Much love to you friend,
    And many prayers too,
    e

    ReplyDelete