Monday, November 15, 2010

just a small town girl....

...took the midnight train...

to Acireale, Sicily!

I was meeting up with Josh and Carmela Daugereau. I met them in 2007 when I was in Italy for 3 weeks. I attended an outdoor baptism service for their church.


God knows how much I would enjoy a few days with these beauties. Meet Benedetta, 4 and Hannah, 6. They are the precious treasure that belong to Josh and Carmela.

In Sicily, I went chestnutting (yes, this is an official word.... or maybe not? It means to collect chestnuts), tried an arancino (it's a MUST if you ever get to Sicily), survived an earthquake (or two -- while sleeping... I thought I was making the bed shake because of a dream or something... so I just went back to sleep), made homemade gnocchi with Carmela and the girls, and viewed the magnificent Mt. Etna:


Made a few new friends. Spent the day with Valentina (a girl who knows Josh and Carmela and wanted to try out her English!) and her friends in Catania. It was great! I miss them already! Luckily, we are facebook friends now!


On Wednesday (Nov 3) I got to experience the midweek church service. It is always good to gather with Italians.

Josh and Carmela work with Aurora Mission. One of the things I appreciated about this mission was the ITA -- Italian Theological Association. They teach Italians! Many Italian pastors have little or no Biblical training. While I was there, they had class with Jerry Wragg, who has worked alongside John MacArthur.


Here's another video that spurred me on towards making this trip.

They sell a few books at the school. Josh told me that printing Protestant Christian literature is risky in Italy since less than 1% of the population is Protestant. It's not a big money maker, thus not a lot of good literature. It makes me want to translate some of my favorite books for the Italian ministers... hmm...

So much great Kingdom work being done here. Thank God for families like this one:


PS -- I'm tired and have posted a lot today, so posts about Verona and churches in the Udine area will be another day (possibly tomorrow?).

No comments:

Post a Comment