Monday, November 15, 2010

Lost and Found

Messages I have heard lately have been about how Jesus came to seek and saved the lost (Luke 19.10). Yesterday John Barber was a guest speaker at church. He talked about the parable of the lost sheep in Luke 15. I love that chapter. Let me share with you some of what he said:

If you do not have love for the lost, you do not have God's heart.


People are lost because the church is not where they are.
~~~~~
I also listened to GCC's recent Cowtipping message:

Good missionary – embrace the culture, learn the language, history, traditions, stories, metaphors and then learn how to tell the story of Jesus so that they can understand it within their culture. ... ... ... The church isn’t a building. It’s God’s people on mission. ~Rob Wegner from GCC's "Going Against the Herd" message.

John 1.14(MSG) – the Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood.
~~~
Life experience relates as well. I went shopping today and lost one of my bags somewhere along the way. I was at home when I realized I left it somewhere, so I went back out to search for it. Again bringing to mind Luke 15. Thank God I found it, too! :)
~~~~
There is something precious about missions. It makes my heart beat.

I sometimes feel like the queen of excuses, but God always comes up with better answers. .
I'm still in debt. 
I don't know the language.
I would have to raise support... really?
Is Italy REALLY in need of missionaries (after being here two months, the resounding answer is YES!)?
Can't I just stay where it's comfortable in America (in Michigan) where I am loved and can love others well, where I will be surrounded by a close Christian environment? 

Btw, did anyone notice how many of those excuses dealt with money? God or Money: who is my Master (Matthew 6.24)?

God's not done with me in Italy.

I'm reading Bill Hybels' The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God and Having the Guts to Respond. I asked God to let me hear His still small voice. Throughout this week, He's made His presence known. 

Let's take a side trip back to my high school/early college years... I visited a woman from my church. She's an older lady and I love her dearly. She told me to my face, "Jenni, I think you would be a great missionary." Thinking about that right now gives me chills. It excites me and makes me nervous. At the time, I thought NO WAY I want to go to Africa and fund-raise and do all of the missionary work. 

Luckily my view of missions has expanded beyond that. There is a NEED in ITALY for REAL CHRIST FOLLOWERS to SHOW THE LOVE OF JESUS to the people here. I don't know how long it will take me to get back here in Italy, but I know that I'LL BE BACK. God has plans... yet to be revealed to me, but I'm going to try to make some plans (as much as possible). 

So THAT is my plan for now. 

2 comments:

  1. Jenni, God is showing his amazing plan for your life... and you are showing it to us over this blog! Thanks for the update, and keep serving, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew. Wow. You know what's interesting? Even now, when you might think you know what's coming round the bend... I bet you anything... God STILL has a plan we know nothing about, and it will be PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete