Thursday, September 16, 2010

Here's a little video I made while waiting for Mike (my brother) to pick me up to go to the airport.

I am in Italy! I am in Italy! Whoa. I can't believe it, so I have to keep saying it to myself: I am in Italy! Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement. I am so tired still (I slept MAYBE an hour during my 13 hours of traveling that with the 6 hour time difference felt like 20+ hours of travelling).

My airplane seatmates were diverse. I met a woman originally from the Philippines who now lives in Dubai. She was taking her youngest son to college in Ottawa. I asked her what Dubai is like. She said its desert and they are friendly to foreigners. It's part of the UAE: United Arab Emirates. It was interesting talking to her. She said that it is a pretty nice city since it was under the British rule. (Google Palm Island... I think it look pretty cool...).

The guy on the other side of me was with his parents. They were in Chicago visiting family but on their way back home to Germany. He's a salesperson from a German TV station. He told me his favorite city that he's ever visited is Moscow. 

Dusseldorf was full of guys in business suits.
One of those men was my seat partner on the plane. He was a true Italian in a pin-striped suit. I asked him about church in Italy. He said that he went to church every couple of weeks. People's lives don't match with what the church believes, so most people don't pay attention anymore. He said divorce was becoming more common and in the Catholic Church, divorce is a sin. He said that the south is more open to church and go more often than people in northern Italy. He said that the church helps immigrants but doesn't really reach out to people. Interesting...

For your entertainment: 

Yesterday in Dusseldorf airport, I realized I was DEFINITELY in Europe when I saw a man and a woman walking through the airport... The MAN's shoes were making more noise than the woman's shoes. haha..



1 comment:

  1. very cute....i'm loving every detail you leave us with! enjoyed the video too and it was nice to hear your actual voice...beautiful to hear your heart...inspiring to hear how you are finding God in the little things, like purple clovers found far across the sea from home (reminding you that you are not alone)...God's ways of revealing Himself and speaking comfort and truth to our lives simply amazes me.

    ReplyDelete